Tuesday, August 5, 2008

the journey of a thousand miles...

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.   
--Chinese Proverb
...
At this very moment I'm sitting in the Miami airport waiting to make the last leg of my journey to Bolivia.  If all goes well, my flight will leave at 11:10 pm and I should be in Carmen Pampa by mid afternoon! 

As I sit here, watching the infamous Miami airport mice emerge from the walls and circle around my seat (eek!), I consider that this adventure really didn't start with one "single step"--it has been a series of many small steps that landed me here; and I'm so grateful for the all the people who took those small steps with me.  

I have been overwhelmed by all the help and well-wishes friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers have extended to me so that I could make this move back to Bolivia.  Thanks to those who gave me thoughtful gifts, beautifully written cards, kind e-mails, and, of course, that awesome, homemade Bolivian-shaped/colored cake!  Thanks to those who loaned me their cars or helped me arrange transportation when metro transit failed me.  Thanks to those who took me to lunch or met me for coffee--I appreciated your conversation and insight.  Thanks to those who helped me clean up my apartment, pack up my few belongings, and reattach those awful drapes! Thanks to the god-o-the-internet who sent me positive Craigslist experiences and thanks to everyone at my farewell fiesta who humored me when I raffled off some of my random worldly possessions.  

It's quite exceptional, I think, to know so many generous, giving people--I am one lucky senorita.  GRACIAS to you all for helping me take this step!   ...now, if I can just get on the plane without stepping on a mouse...


No comments: